December 5, 2010

Thoughts On Life

It's really crazy how a couple of words that you overhear from someone else can really change your whole perspective on life. During this gloomy season filled with incredible stress, a lot of people probably had thoughts of giving up, myself included.

After coming back from Ithakids, a program where we have local kids from Ithaca have Cornell students as mentors, I decided to head to the library to do some studying. As I entered, I heard one girl frantically crying, yelling into the phone, "I tried to commit suicide last night". I froze and stared, not knowing what to do. I guess I was thinking about what I can do, even though I knew there wasn't much. I headed straight to the circulation desk just to ask what could be done. I don't think they can have someone follow her to make sure she was safe, but I really hope that she doesn't try to do anything.

I think it is really sad that it takes events like these for our generation to take a step back and think about our own lives and how much we actually have. Life might seem tough at certain points. There were so many times where I didn't want to do anything. The only way to get past these difficult moments is to realize that better days are coming. Things may seem like life can't get any better, but when you're all the way at the bottom, the only way you can go is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment